In the beginning…
Back-track to my late 20’s and life was all good – high flying in the corporate world, excelling in the sporting arena and a great social life. However, without realising, I was hurtling towards a difficult stage which left me struggling for energy, lacking motivation, unable to sleep properly and a rather unnerving feeling of being disconnected from events and friends.
Having now worked with hundreds or even thousands of individuals over the last 20 years, there are some common themes that resonate with my own story:
- Being outwardly confident and gregarious, whilst inwardly feeling unhappy with a whirling negative, critical voice
- Constantly worrying about what others think of you
- Needing to do everything perfectly and better than anyone else
- Never feeling that you have done enough and failing to understand why everyone else thinks you have!
- A treadmill of doing, doing and doing even more to try and achieve
On one hand, one of these points, or even a combination, can be highly motivating and push individuals to achieve great goals…however, as I found out, it is not sustainable. If you’re reading this page you have probably discovered that for yourself!